2018 MRC Conference
20th Annual Marine Resources Committee Conference
This year we will be at the beautiful Fort Worden State Park and Conference Center. Click here to check out the area!
Hotel reservations can be made directly though Fort Worden's reservation system.
- Keynote speaker: Washington Senator Kevin Ranker
- No bull! The devastating consequences of losing Nereocystis ecosystems
- Understanding Tribal Treaty Rights in Western Washington
- Southern Resident Killer Whale Recovery Efforts
- Indicators of Straits ecosystem health: Actions to Impacts
- MRC success stories
- Short and Sweet: MRC Ignite
- Raising awareness in your community
- Marine debris: taking action to clean up the Salish Sea
- Citizen science and the Coastal Storm Monitoring System
When will the full agenda be ready?
Our conference planning committee will have the conference agenda ready by mid-October at the latest. See above for confirmed topics.
What is the goal of the MRC Conference?
To bring the Northwest Straits Initiative “family” together to build relationships, feature MRC projects, celebrate accomplishments and bring in experts to present emerging issues.
Who attends the MRC Conference?
The conference is invitation only. All members of the seven MRCs; members of the NWS Commission and NWS Foundation board; Commission, Foundation and MRC staff; individuals from partner organizations that contribute to or can speak to the success of the NWS Initiative; local, regional, state and federal elected officials and their staff; agency leaders and staff; event sponsors and funders; and coastal MRCs staff and members.
If you wish to attend and did not receive an invite you can email Nicole at firstname.lastname@example.org to be put on the waitlist. We also need volunteers!
Can I bring my spouse/partner?
You can pay a small fee to bring them during any of our meals. To attend the entire conference (including sessions, keynote and activities) they will need to be put on our waitlist.
How is the location chosen?
We try to rotate between NWS Initiative counties but are restricted to a certain facility size and budget. Those with ideas are always welcome to email us at email@example.com.
Feel free to email Nicole at Jordan@nwstraits.org with any logistical questions.
- Washington Sea Grant
- Coastal Geologic Services
- Conservatory Coastal Home
- Transect Films
- Samish Indian Nation
Those interested in sponsorship should visit the Northwest Straits Foundation here: https://nwstraitsfoundation.org/2018-mrc-conference-sponsorship/